Sunday, June 27, 2010

Quick poses with toned paper


The following drawings where done on white paper toned with charcoal powder. I saw a fellow student and amazing draftsman, Isaac Pelepko, doing this one day and decided to give it a shot. I found it immensely helpful. Working with toned paper forces you to erase as much as you draw, which really forces you to see the lights on a figure (i.e. the parts of an object that light hits directly, as opposed to the shadows, which the light doesn't reach).



I thought I was being clever by establishing my lights in some sort of a hatching system. Now i just find it distracting.
I remember drawing this one and hating it at the time. In hindsight, I don't dislike it nearly as much. Its very rough which may be the reason I like (and dislike) it.

These don't read very well but whatever.

This is my best one, I think. Which is funny, because I don't really remember drawing it at the time.

I only worked this way for about a week but learned soo much. Last week I went back to trying it and will post my results soon. Now that I know more about modeling factors, I'll hopefully be more aware of the midtones!

I'm linking to Isaac Pelepko's website here. Just a disclaimer; Isaac's stuff might be a bit racy for some but its also very very funny.

2 comments:

Tom Thayer said...

The title of your blog is so versatile that the switch from pizza to art is as natural as two lovers sharing an enormous horse dick.

I'm looking forward to seeing more sketches.

Augie Hoffman said...

Looks like Isaac Pelepko has a new fan.